The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) Aeronautics Division is currently accepting applications for its 2019 Aviation Outreach and Education Program. The purpose of this program is to help promote aviation and influence others to pursue aviation education, careers, and other aviation-related activities in the State of Tennessee.
For this school year, the TDOT Aeronautics Division will be awarding $200,000 in grants to educators at public and private schools, higher education institutions, magnet schools, and other educational institutions in Tennessee to purchase equipment, supplies, materials, and other related costs in order to promote aviation in their classrooms. Examples of classroom equipment, supplies, materials, and activities that would be eligible through this program include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Aviation curriculum (i.e., aviation engineering, maintenance, technology, etc.);
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAS or “Drones”) supplies and classroom activities;
- Aviation history curriculum, supplies, and classroom activities;
- Outer space classroom activities, materials, and supplies;
- Aviation technology, maintenance, and engineering activities, materials, and supplies,
- Lunar rover vehicle classroom activities and supplies;
- Model rocket classroom activities, supplies, and materials;
- Model airplane classroom activities, supplies, and materials; and
- Other aviation-related classroom experiences and programs
To submit an application, please visit their website here. The deadline to apply is October 15, 2018. The TDOT Aeronautics Division will review the applications by December 15th, 2018. If awarded a grant, the applicant will receive a one year grant by January 15, 2019, to conduct his or her proposed activity, which will be funded up to 100 percent by the TDOT Aeronautics Division. Previous recipients may reapply for a new grant for his or her proposed activity.
For more information about this program, please visit our website here. Also, if you have any questions about the program or application, please contact the Aviation Outreach and Education Program Coordinator, Evan Lester, at 615-361-8016 or at Evan.Lester@tn.gov.